8 Comments

1. joe.attaboy
    August 25, 2010 @ 8:47 am

I fail to see the tempest about this. I read the questionnaire carefully, and find those specific questions no more “biased” than any of the other questions on the form. I have to assume, not being knowledgeable of the process, that both the prosecution and the defense had a say in what questions were added to this form. I can’t imagine that the prosecution would want those specific questions there, but I also can’t imagine that the defense would allow them (or something like them) to be left off.

Frankly, I find it just as offensive that I have to reveal my personal opinion of the Congress and the Executive Branch (about both of which I have an extremely low opinion). How is what I think of either going to influence what kind of verdict I would be willing to render toward Mr. Ring? If the preponderance of the evidence points to his guilt, that’s how I would find (or not guilty, if that’s the case).

But, then again, I’ve never been called to a jury in my 55 years. And I’ve lived in the same community in Florida for nearly 26 years. Maybe I’m just too damn smart for my own good.

2. Cuyler Brooks
    August 27, 2010 @ 1:13 pm

The Byzantine strategies for tuning the make-up of the “twelve good men and true” to serve on a jury have long since made a mockery of the jury system. When I worked at NASA/Langley in Tidewater Virginia it was well-known that prosecutors did not want research engineers on their juries, as having too-inquiring minds – and this in spite of the fact that federal employees could not accept any per diem, as they remained on salary during jury duty.

3. Fully
    August 27, 2010 @ 3:22 pm

joe.attaboy: If you find him guilty based on the “Preponderance of Evidence”, you are failing in your duty as a juror in a Criminal Proceeding. Criminal trials have a higher standard which is “Beyond a reasonable doubt” as their penalties are harsher than in civil court. You’re “so damn smart” that you don’t know that?

4. Richard
    August 27, 2010 @ 6:05 pm

The “Only ” way to solve this dilemma is the establish a law that pays every elected official a “Minimum” wage as is required for “The People”.
    The best way is to “Not” pay them anything except for expenses such as living in dorms or buildings that can support all of the elected individuals so they can make it to work on time.
    In other words, if they have to live and exist like “The People” then maybe they will pass more legislation for the betterment of “The People”.
    Remember our so called elected officials are supposed to be representing “the People” and not themselves.
    They shall not be “Influenced” by “Any” form of bribery of a person or group or political party that wants “Their” agendas before “The People” or they will be imprisoned.
    Hows that for a start??

5. S S
    August 28, 2010 @ 8:37 am

Judges in state/federal courtrroms can be VERY corrupt–They often judge books by their covers.
    Judges can within the confines of their chambers intepret or thumbs down regulations of prescribed judicial conduct and hate transparancy. They can aid and abet criminal public servants.
    Judges–Last of the truly GOOD OLD BOY, unreformed, un transparent American institutions still with us that may as it chooses, thwart the WILL OF THE PEOPLE.

6. Paul
    August 30, 2010 @ 8:36 am

Just pay the $50 and pick up the garbage, and have a seat on the Group W bench.

7. Elmer
    September 2, 2010 @ 12:50 pm

It never ends, those that have, are willing to do near anything to keep or improve their position. Maybe I should remove near.

It never ceases to amaze me how the IN crowd will pick a war to ensure that some country can achieve Democracy, while doing everything in their power to ruin it for the PEOPLE that are struggling to maintain it here.

I wonder if they have ever read the constitution or bill of rights

8. Money & Democracy Update: Downturn? What downturn? « CitizenVox
    December 24, 2010 @ 5:48 pm

[…] duty? Just say you support Public Citizen! In one of the most startling and biased jury surveys we have ever seen, the federal district court of D.C. is identifying “good government” people for possible […]